Week 1 - Yamaha Harmony Director Keyboard

I am venturing into new territory in the implementation of the Yamaha Harmony Director keyboard in my daily rehearsals with the Butler Traditional High School Symphonic Band.  I have been encouraged by numerous colleagues to purchase one of these keyboards and to use it with my ensembles to improve timing, intonation and overall sound of the ensemble. I have seen this keyboard used and have witnessed the transformation it can create when used properly.

I guess my biggest fear is just that, using it properly. I have attended a few professional development session that were based on how to use the machine, and of course they make it look easy! I have begun to implement the metronome feature, because it is simple and idiot-proof, and I have noticed that it allows me to move around the rehearsal space so I can be in the midst of the students while they play an it keeps time for me. This is a great first step because it gets me off of the podium and into the students space. This will not only help with timing, but also with discipline and ensuring cell phones are in pockets and not on their stands.

I also use the tuning feature of the keyboard with my students. This is very simple as well and I simple play and hold the pitch while they match it. I have seen some improvement with their ability to listen to the pitch and match it using their ears versus staring at a tuner and adjusting because it says they are out of tune.

My goals for the semester are to talk to my colleagues who use this technology on a daily basis and try to add one element at a time as  I become more confident in my ability to implement this tool.  I m excited to see what improvements this instrument can make with my ensemble, but also nervous about tackling this new technology! Here's to new adventures and continued learning!

Comments