Week 3 - Response to "Handel's Messiah and Notion"

The idea of having am orchestral accompaniment for live vocal performances has always been a pipe dream for most music educators.  Most schools do not have access to a string program, and even if they do, the players are still high school musicians and simply aren't capable of playing literature that was written for professionals.  This blog discusses how music educators, primarily choral directors, can overcome this obstacle and offer their students this opportunity that has never been available before. Thanks to the technology of the music notation software Notion, educators can purchase the software and create or download orchestral accompaniments for their performances.

The first reaction most people would have might be the fact that this seems like a very fancy karaoke track for classical music.  While they would be correct on the surface, this software allows you to not only change the key, the instrumentation and the dynamics, it also has a live performance feature. This feature allows you to implement the computer instruments with instruments you may have performing live.  Essentially this allows the flexibility of replacing instruments you need but don't have access to without sacrificing an opportunity for your students.

I intend to explore this software in more detail and share it with my vocal music education colleagues in hopes that it will be of use to them and give their students new opportunities to perform with a "real orchestral" accompaniment.

Original blog:https://techinmusiced.wordpress.com/2018/12/01/handels-messiah-and-notion/

Comments

  1. Marc,
    Although I am not a music teacher, I was in orchestra elementary through high school, so I understand enough about your post to recognize how beneficial this software can be. When I was a student in orchestra, I never considered the limitations of not having a full orchestra, but always noticed the differences when we went to Louisville Orchestra performances. I think it is amazing that this software can provide students with the experience of a simulated orchestra. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment