Week 4 Response - Music App Updates

This week's blog is a little older, from the fall, but it helped me discover a couple new music apps I am going to try.  So, even though it's been published for while, it's content is new to me, which is all that matters I guess.  There are two apps discussed in this post, Treble Cat and Music Memos.  Treble cat is a music note reading game that students can use to learn to read the notes on the musical staff.  This tool will be invaluable to all of my beginning band students, fifth grade and my high school beginners, because it makes a game out of learning to read music.     In addition to this app, I inadvertently found out about Bass Cat (the bass clef note naming game) and the Rhythm Cat, which is the same idea with basic rhythms. Even though these apps weren't updated, they were mentioned by the author in anticipation of their updates as well.  Again, had he not mentioned these apps, I wouldn't have even known they existed! There is a free version that I will download on the classroom set of i-pads and get my students started this week.

The other app discussed in this post was music memo, which seems to be an app that takes a musical recording that students play on their instrument and analyzes the key, tempo and harmonic structure and adds bass and drums to the existing recording! I think this would be an amazing app for our digital music course (that sadly I do not teach) at Butler. I am sharing this app with my colleague who teaches the class so he can use it immediately. Not only does this encourage students to play their assigned etudes or selections, it adds a fun background to their performance.



Original Blog: https://techinmusiced.wordpress.com/2018/09/10/two-app-updates-9-10-18/

Comments

  1. Hi, I think it's great you are finding apps to help your students learn treble and bass notes, as well, as basic rhythms. I remember from music and playing piano learning the acronyms for the treble and bass lines and spaces. Sometimes they can be hard to remember when you are first learning them. An app would probably be more engaging to kids, now that technology is such a huge part of their lives. Plus, it may help them to recognize notes faster. I hope it works out great for your students!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment