Week 12 - Response to Podcasting in the Elementary Classroom
This week I found an online music ed tech blog that discussed the use of podcasts in the elementary classroom. From the title of the article I assumed it meant they were using podcasts in the classroom and students were simply listening to them. However, much to my surprise they were actually having the students CREATE the podcasts as a project-based learning activity. With younger elementary, they used podcasts to give the students a chance to “show what they know.” These are very short, simple podcasts that has them talking about, reflecting on, concepts they have learned in class.
The article explained how to record these podcasts with simple tools that re readily available to any educator. The following is an excerpt from the article that explains the process the author uses:
The article explained how to record these podcasts with simple tools that re readily available to any educator. The following is an excerpt from the article that explains the process the author uses:
"For these younger elementary podcasts, I still follow what Meredith suggests for older students when podcasting: think, script, record, edit, and publish. I thought about our musical objective for the lesson, briefly scripted the questions, recorded at the end of the class, edited at the end of the day, and published it via Seesaw, our student digital learning portfolios. Our target audience are the parents, so Seesaw was
the best platform to publish. You can also download it as an mp3 file and send it to the parents, or make a QR code from it (place the mp3 file into google drive, create a link, and place the link in qrstuff.com to create a qr code) and place the qr code on a bulletin board for other students to scan and listen, or publish it on iTunes, Google Play, etc.
The equipment needed is very basic: I used Soundtrap and a Blue USB Microphone (and learned to set
the volume low in Soundtrap because we did not have headphones to use). I love using Soundtrap as it is cloud-based, it can be accessed from mostly any device, it is intuitive to use, and it is basically the love child of google docs and garageband so you can collaborate online to create music, podcasts, and more. It is free to use, but if you have students using it, I highly recommend the EDU paid version where there are safewalls in place."
the volume low in Soundtrap because we did not have headphones to use). I love using Soundtrap as it is cloud-based, it can be accessed from mostly any device, it is intuitive to use, and it is basically the love child of google docs and garageband so you can collaborate online to create music, podcasts, and more. It is free to use, but if you have students using it, I highly recommend the EDU paid version where there are safewalls in place."
The author also includes four videos of examples from their students. I think this could be a fantastic way for teachers, especially elementary level, to differentiate problem-based learning as well as formative assessments.
Original Blog - https://mustech.net/2019/01/podcasting-in-the-young-elementary-music-classroom/
Original Blog - https://mustech.net/2019/01/podcasting-in-the-young-elementary-music-classroom/
I LOVE this idea! Thank you for sharing. My students already use Seesaw, so we have a place to publush. I will definitely be trying this out in the future.
ReplyDeleteI will definitely be trying this out if not this year definitely next year! Such a cool idea to show that our little ones are capable of keeping up with us in the technology world!
ReplyDelete